Not a Current Program
The Sunraysia Academy of Sport 2014/15 Hockey Program will provide junior hockey players with a high performance sporting program within our region by enhancing pathways for young athletes to achieve their elite sporting and personal ambitions.Â
Hockey Victoria and Sunraysia Hockey Association see the inclusion of hockey into the SAS as a process to enhance the capacity to achieve the following outcomes;
1)Â Â Â Â Â Identification of regional athletes with long term characteristics for high performance hockey.
2)Â Â Â Â Â Deliver a holistic program which integrates technical training, strength and conditioning and personal development.
3)Â Â Â Â Â Raise the standard and profile of hockey within the Sunraysia region.
4)Â Â Â Â Â Increase the number of regional based junior athletes within the Victorian state junior teams.
5)Â Â Â Â Â To offer a higher level of support to talented junior hockey players and their coaches at a high performance level.
Specifically the inclusion of Hockey into the SAS would fit within the Victorian hockey development pathway.
Jesse Workman (Athlete Development Coordinator, Hockey Victoria) has been appointed the Technical Director of Coaching and will oversee the program and provide guidance to local coaches.Â Local coaches; Jamie Pain and Dafydd Scholes will implement the coaching program. This program will include higher level coaching and sports science opportunities along with other beneficial experiences for participating athletes.Â
The program will include:
- On Field Training
a)Â Â Â Â Â Weekly supervised training sessions from October through to March (Wednesdays excluding school holidays)
- Off Surface Training
a)Â Â Â Â Â Athlete & Career education seminars for athletes, parents and coaches
b)Â Â Â Â Â Fitness testing
c)Â Â Â Â Â Musculoskeletal screening
d)Â Â Â Â Â Weekly strength and conditioning program (Mondays at Chaffey Secondary College)
Athletes in the program are expected to make them self available for North West Lightening Teams.Â
Boys and Girls aged 12-17 years of age.Â
Athletes selected in the SAS hockey program must satisfy the following criteria:
- Player has been selected in a Victorian junior state team or squad this year or
- Player has been selected in a North West Country Lightening team for the Junior State Championships or Zone Challenge over the last 12 months
- Players must demonstrate potential in becoming an elite player and willing to listen and implement feedback from coaching staff.
- Additional members may be included in the program if the inclusion of such players is necessary for the delivery of a viable program.
- To be eligible for entry, players must be:
- A registered member of a club within the Sunraysia Hockey Association
- If selected, willing to trial for a Victorian junior state hockey team
- Athletes in the SAS Hockey program must make any SAS activity their priority over other sporting pursuits for the duration of the program.Â